Big news for TCM viewers and pretty much the rest of the world. The late Robert Osbourne’s slot on the next season of Turner Classic Movies’ “The Essentials” will be occupied by none other than Alec Baldwin. Throughout the upcoming season, Baldwin will be joined by guests as they discuss the film of the night. Those guests are: David Letterman, Tina Fey and film director William Friedkin.
Baldwin is no stranger to the series, having co-hosted “The Essentials” alongside Osbourne from 2009-2012. He knows the importance of his new role and, of course, who he replaces.
“I have some big shoes to fill hosting The Essentials, and I plan on doing Bob proud with this new season of The Essentials,” said Baldwin. “Dave, Tina and Billy each bring a unique perspective to the movies in our lineup, and they have some fascinating, and even surprising, insights to share as we shine a spotlight on some of our favorite ‘must-see’ films from over a century of epic moviemaking.”
Here’s the lineup of films and air dates for “The Essentials”, just published by Turner.
The Essentials will kick off with special guest David Letterman joining Baldwin to discuss a plethora of popular classics including:
- The Bad and the Beautiful (1952) – airing May 6
- East of Eden (1955) – airing on May 13
- No Time for Sergeants (1958) – airing on May 27
- The Big Sleep (1946) – airing on June 16
Tina Fey will make her guest appearance starting on June 24 to discuss her favorite classic films including:
- Rear Window (1954) – airing June 24
- The Lady Eve (1941) – airing on July 1
- The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) – airing on July 8
- Singin’ in the Rain (1952) – airing on August 5
Rounding out the entertaining new season, William Friedkin will join Baldwin to highlight another round of notable films such as:
- The Quiet Man (1952) – airing on Aug. 12
- The Manchurian Candidate (1962) – airing on Aug. 19
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – airing on Sept. 2
- The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) – airing on Sept. 23
TCM logo used with permission of Turner Broadcasting.